Peanut butter and chocolate will forever be the ingredient combo of my dreams. In fact, it’s not uncommon for me to be seen eating a bowl of melted chocolate and peanut butter with a spoon (don’t judge me).
Recently it dawned on me to switch up my regular peanut butter protein ball recipe. I simply omit the mini chocolate chips, dip the balls in dark chocolate, and sprinkle them with flaked sea salt. Is your mouth watering yet?
These protein balls are a major hit with my whole family, so the kids often like to jump in and help mix up a batch. They’re easy to throw together, use ingredients I always have in my pantry, and keep in the freezer for months (but we always eat them much too fast for that).
PRO TIP: when you’re ready to dip the protein balls in chocolate, break off the two middle prongs of a plastic fork and use that for dipping. It allows more of the chocolate to drip off the ball so you get an even coating.
Do yourself a favor and make these chocolate-covered peanut butter protein balls with flaked sea salt as soon as possible. Your favorite protein balls are about to become your favorite dessert.
Chocolate-Covered Peanut Butter Protein BallsPin Recipe
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup milled flaxseed or protein powder
- 1 1/2 cups oats
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- flaked sea salt (optional, but highly recommended)
- Combine all ingredients (except chocolate and salt). Mix well (you can mix by hand or in a stand mixer).
- Use a mini cookie scoop to form balls and place onto a lined baking sheet.
- Melt chocolate chips in a glass bowl at 30-second intervals, stirring between each, until melted.
- Break off the two middle prongs of a plastic fork and use that to dip each ball into the melted chocolate, letting the extra chocolate drip off the bottom.
- Place each chocolate-covered ball back onto the lined baking sheet and sprinkle immediately with flaked sea salt.
- Repeat with remaining balls.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.